Xiao (G) - Traditional Chinese Flute - Bamboo - High Quality - 77 cm
The Xiao is the most famous Chinese end-blown flute. This instrument is hand made out of high quality bamboo. This particular Xiao has a total of 8 fingerholes, which is the most common and sought-after design.
With a length of 77 cm this is a rather large flute. However, because the finger holes are quite close together you don't need big hands to be able to play the flute. The Xiao is concert tuned to G.
It has 7 fingerholes on top and one hole on the back for the thumb. It is end blown with an embouchure, which means it will take some time and practice to master the style of blowing.
How to play this flute?
- Aim your airflow against the edge of the embouchure hole
- This requires some practice and patience
- The flute is held vertically
- There's 7 fingerholes on top, and a thumbhole on the back
- Cover the holes with the pad of the fingers, not the fingertips
The musical possibilities
- This flute plays in minor and major keys, as well as other modes.
- The flute has a reach of over 2 octaves.