High Spirits Double Eagle 'F#' Aromatic Cedar - Modified Drone
The High Spirits 'Double Eagle' Native American flute is a handmade instrument, built by renowned flutemaker Odell Borg. Odell has been making flutes for over 25 years in Arizona. The left hand flute has three fingerholes, and will come with three leather patches, so you can choose which ones you'd like to keep closed to create your prefered pitch of the drone. The right hand flute plays like a normal Native American flute.
This particular model has been made out of aromatic cedar wood, has a length of 60 cm and is tuned to F#. It plays in the F# minor pentatonic scale and in the A major pentatonic scale.
The flute comes with a free DVD and instructional manual, allowing you to become a good native flute player, even without any previous musical experience.
How to play this flute?
- Blow into the end of the flute
- This is very easy, you do not need any embouchure
- There are two blowing holes
- You can blow one at a time, or both at the same time
- It does not require a lot of air
- The right hand flute has six fingerholes, one of which is covered by a patch
- Which leaves five holes for the fingers to cover
- It is also possible to remove the patch, giving you acces to six fingerholes
- This allows for even more tonal possibilities
The musical possibilities
- You can easily play in the minor pentatonic scale
- Play in major pentatonic by starting on the second note (4 holes closed)
- It is possible to play tones outside of these scales as well
- Use half-holes (half cover the fingerhole) to do so
- The flute has a reach of more than one octave