Erik the Flutemaker All-Terrain Saxophone
This handmade Saxoflute, or Saxophone is made by Erik the Flutemaker. It features a classic saxophone mouthpiece. It is a reed instrument, just like a real saxophone.
It requires a little practice to get comfortable playing such an instrument. The instrument is available (from high to low) in Soprano D, Soprano C, Alto Bb and Tenor G.
How to play this flute
- Just like a real saxophone, it uses a mouthpiece with a reed
- You need to shape your mouth in a specific way (embouchure) to create sound
- Put your upper teeth on the mouthpiece, and softly bite down
- Fold your lower lip over your bottom teeth
- Blow with an open throat into the mouthpiece
- This sax has six fingerholes on top, and a backhole.
The musical possibilities
- Easily plays in the major scale
- It also plays in the minor scale
- You can also play notes outside of these scales
- You can do this by half-covering some of the holes