Erik the Flutemaker Cocobolo Saxophone (Bb / G)
This handmade Saxoflute, or Cocobolo Saxophone is made by Erik the Flutemaker. The body is made out of cocobolo wood, while the mouthpiece is a classic saxophone mouthpiece. It is a reed instrument, just like a real saxophone. It requires a little practice to get comfortable playing such an instrument.
It comes with a sax bag, a spare reed, a how-to-play DVD and an instructional booklet.
It requires a little practice to get comfortable playing such an instrument. This instrument is tuned to Bb, which is a great jazzy key to play in with other musicians.
Available in Alto (Bb) and Tenor (G)
How to play this flute
- Just like a real saxophone, it uses a mouthpiece with a reed
- You need to shape your mouth in a specific way (embouchure) to create sound
- Put your upper teeth on the mouthpiece, and softly bite down
- Fold your lower lip over your bottom teeth
- Blow with an open throat into the mouthpiece
- This sax has six fingerholes on top, and a backhole.
The musical possibilities
- Easily plays in the major scale
- It also plays in the minor scale
- You can also play notes outside of these scales
- You can do this by half-covering some of the holes
- It has a reach of one octave