High Spirits SPIRIT FLUTE 432Hz EarthTone Bass - Spanish Cedar
WHAT MAKES SPIRIT FLUTES DIFFERENT?
Spirit Flutes are shorter in length than our traditional Native Flutes. By shortening the Spirit Flute's design we've been able to reduce the overall length of the flutes, which make covering the fingering holes easier, especially for those with smaller hands. This is particularly true for the deeper tone flutes, making them accessible to the majority of flute players.
The design of the Spirit Flute mouthpiece is shorter than the mouthpiece on our traditional flutes. Its mouthpiece is approximately 1-inch to 1.25-inches in length from the mouth end to the Fipple or the rectangular sound hole on the flute. This shorter distance minimizes watering-out (also known as moisture build-up from breath) by forcing the accumulated moisture build-up out of the flute, which allows for longer, continual playing.
The compact mouthpiece gives good control of the sound volume and projection known as Amplitude, providing choices from playing softly to playing more loudly. The short distance between the mouth-hole and the Fipple provides the option of creating more back-pressure to reach the higher notes more clearly.
Instead of the traditional Native Flute's fetish, Spirit Flutes use a flat plate that is permanently adhered to the flute's body. This gives the flutes a compact profile that is ideal for travel, hiking, backpacking, or any other outdoor activities.
In the creation of the new Spirit Flutes, our intention was to pay close attention to size and cost. The first goals in creating the Spirit Flutes was to continue providing a great voice and a practical flute size so most adult-sized hands could play. Our second intention was affordability so with each step of the process we focused on making the Spirit Flutes financially accessible to all players, from 'newbies' to experienced flute performers.
Each Spirit Flute is also available in both our Tradition 440 Hz frequency and our EarthTone 432 Hz frequency so flute players are able to choose the musical pitch that is the best fit for them.
Suited for beginners and veterans!
The High Spirits 'SPIRIT FLUTE' Traditional Bass Native American flute is a handmade instrument, built by renowned flutemaker Odell Borg. Odell has been making flutes for over 25 years in Arizona, USA. The flute is easy to hold and play, although this particular flute is suited for people with medium to large sized hands. It is also an incredible instrument for experienced players.
This particular model has been made out of spanish cedar wood. The flute comes with a free DVD and instructional manual, allowing you to become a good native flute player, even without any previous musical experience.
How to play this flute?
- Blow into the end of the flute
- This is very easy, you do not need any embouchure
- It does not require a lot of air
- It is easy to hold, you hold it in front of you like a recorder
- It has six fingerholes, one of which is covered by a patch
- Which leaves five holes for the fingers to cover
- It is also possible to remove the patch, giving you acces to six fingerholes
- This allows for even more tonal possibilities
The musical possibilities
- You can easily play in the minor pentatonic scale
- Play in major pentatonic by starting on the second note (4 holes closed)
- It is possible to play tones outside of these scales as well
- Use half-holes (half cover the fingerhole) to do so
- The flute has a reach of more than one octave