Erik the Flutemaker Chinese Flute
This handmade Chinese Flute has been crafted by Erik the Flutemaker. The flute is completely made out of bamboo. It is played in a similar way to the western flute, as you blow from the side and hold the flute horizontally. It requires a little practice to get comfortable playing such an instrument.
The Chinese Flute is tuned to itself, meaning that it doesn't correpsond with a regular instrument tuned to A440, but it sounds beautifully in tune when playing solo.
How to play this flute?
- Aim your airflow against the edge of the embouchure hole
- This requires some practice and patience
- The flute is held horizontally, this too requires some practice
- There's 5 fingerholes on top, and a thumbhole on the back
- Cover the holes with the pad of the fingers, not the fingertips
The musical possibilities
- Anything you play will have an eastern / Chinese character to it
- That's because of the intervals between the notes
- The flute has a reach of approximately 2 octaves